The Handbook of Logistics and Distribution Management
The Handbook of Logistics and Distribution Management, Alan Rushton/Phil Croucher/Peter Baker, 2017, SBN 978 0 7494 7677 9, 837 pp.
The 830+ pages of this erudite publication explains the considerations of logistics and distribution—more than living up to the promise of its title. The authors have complimentary experience as well as overlapping education and it is hard to think of a better mix of a team of authors for this handbook.
Although not addressing human or cultural aspects the authors mention handling corruption as well as the substantial differences between major countries across the globe when gross domestic product logistical costs are compared (curiously China is the highest and Netherlands the lowest).
This book gets to the nitty-gritty of all aspects for business-to-business logistical as well as distribution needs, such as:
- Warehousing, warehousing design, specialty warehousing and locating
- Freight transport in rail, maritime, air and over-the-road
- Transportation type selection fer each freight method mentioned above
- Storage and handling systems—palletized and non-palletized—reach trucks and counterbalanced fork-lift trucks
- Customer care strategies
- Procurement, inventory and supply logic
- When and where to consider outsourcing tasks or phases
These authors have produced a fine book for the planning as well as improving the lifeblood of manufacture which is logistics and distribution. A professional level book for the serious and succesful with an index well done, more than enough schematics and photos to aid in understanding the nicely written text, as well as a superb acronym guide.
Kogan Page has The Handbook of Logistics and Distribution Management is available here with shipping free within the UK and United States.